Monday, September 27, 2010

Weekend of Via Colori Fredericksburg

Well, I have to say that this weekend certainly did not go according to plan. Saturday morning I arrived, got my supplies, set up, and got to work. I even upgraded to a 6 x 6 square. It was a very hot, very sunny day, and with little means of shade other than personal umbrellas, it was hard on everyone. Besides this, I developed a cold the night before, and wasn't feeling so well. It was a good day though. I got to meet a lot of new artists and see all their work. The public reaction was great. There were tons of people coming to see despite the heat. There were newspaper and television reporters filming and interviewing the artists as well.

I was doing pretty well until about 1pm, when the combination of sickness and sun exposure began to be a bit overwhelming. I ended up leaving the festival, intending to return early the next day to make up for lost time. I feel like I didn't get as much done as I wanted. I only got to grid, sketch, block in, and then do most of the detail on one face.


But of course, after a summer with almost no rain at all, it had to happen this weekend. I awoke this morning to a slow drizzle and an email saying that all of the drawings got washed away despite the efforts of the volunteers trying to salvage them with tarps. A little disappointing for everyone, but in a way it was sort of a relief. Now at least I won't have to drag my sick but out there and doodle on the sidewalk for 8 hours today in the rain (not that I would mind if I wasn't sick). Even though we didn't get to finish, the festival got great exposure, and I know the turn out of artists and the crowd will be a million times better next year! Here are a few more pictures:

May Kimmer; her piece is about metamorphosis.




Curtis Goldstein; street artist and founder of Via Colori.


No comments:

Post a Comment